Host an Intern
Thank you for your interest in Clatsop WORKS. We are no longer accepting Host Employer applications for Summer 2021.
Benefits of hiring an intern
- Close the skill gap and retain local talent- Help a student develop important workplace skills such as professionalism, leadership, and effective communication, while developing future high school and community college graduates to contribute value-adding work to your business now and in the future.
- Give back to the community- Hiring interns not only helps students in your community get started, it enhances the local workforce as a whole and creates more visibility for your organization.
- Take on creative and advanced projects- Interns often bring enthusiasm, positive energy, and a new perspective while increasing your bandwidth for new projects.
Requirements to host an intern:
- Be able to hire an intern full-time at (at least) minimum wage for 8-10 weeks in a project-based internship
- Have an employee who is willing to mentor an intern
- Have the office/floor space to house an intern
Clatsop WORKS takes care of…
- Marketing all internship positions
- Receiving and organizing applications
- Facilitating the WORKS program, including weekly Professional Development Workshops
- Creating marketing materials for the program
- Sending completed, pre-screened applications to employers
Tips for internship development
- The best internships are project-based, with clearly defined deliverables and purposeful, value-adding work that encourages students to apply their skills.
- Students should be given a central project or task that can be completed in a pre-determined timeline.
- Duties and tasks can evolve, but when there is a lack of bandwidth to provide daily tasks, the student always has the central project to fall back on.
- Defining both the company’s and student’s objectives at that start is the best way to create value for both parties.
- Onboarding (whether virtual or in-person) is essential to prevent any issues and/or dissatisfaction from either party later on.
- Give/receive feedback throughout the duration of the internship
If you have any questions or need any more information, please connect with us.